What are the signs of ageing skin?
- Skin develops lines and wrinkles.
- Skin becomes more lax and sagging occurs- The loss of the elastic tissue (elastin) in the skin with age causes the skin to descend and sag causing heavy brows, hooded eyelids, sagging cheeks forming nasolabial folds, marionette lines and jowls.
- Skin becomes more transparent and loses its luminosity, giving it a dull appearance - This is caused by thinning of the epidermis (surface layer of the skin).
- Skin develops pigmentation / sun spots / appearance of sun damaged skin
- Skin becomes more fragile and can bruise more easily and veins can become visible under the skin or broken capillaries can become more visible
- Loss of fat below the skin in the cheeks, temples, chin and eyes give a hollowed, aged or tired appearance.
- Bone loss mainly across the lower face causes change in jaw and chin shape.
- Cartilage loss in the nose causes drooping of the nasal tip and accentuation of the bony structures in the nose.
What causes ageing skin?
The skin like any other organ is not immune to the ageing process and ageing skin is part of the natural ageing process. How your skin ages will depend on a variety of factors such as genetics and environmental factors such as weather, climate and pollution levels, individual factors such as lifestyle – e.g. smoking and stress level.
How can I prevent skin ageing?It is not possible to entirely prevent the natural ageing process of the skin however avoiding the causes of premature ageing such as excessive UV exposure, avoiding smoking and wearing pollution protector on skin to prevent against free radical damage are viable ways of preventing premature ageing. Anti-ageing treatments to boost collagen and elastin levels can be used as a way of slowing down the natural process of ageing. High quality skin products to protect against UV damage such as Obagi SPF pollution protection such as Obagi vit c 10% and Obagi retinol 1% to increase cell turnover can also slow down the ageing process.
How does sun exposure cause ageing skin?The main cause of premature skin ageing is damage by the UV rays of the sun -UVA rays and UVB rays. UVA rays are responsible for sun spots, formation of wrinkles, increasing facial sagging and other symptoms of early ageing of the skin. UVB rays are responsible for causing skin cancer and sunburns. Thus, both kinds of UV rays can damage the skin. The skin has a naturally occurring chemical called melanin. Upon reaching the skin, the UV rays interact with melanin present in the skin. Melanin absorbs the UV rays and protects the skin from sun damage and premature aging. The chemical reaction between melanin and UV rays is what results in tanning. It is however important to note that melanin can only offer a limited level of protection from the harmful effects of UV rays. When the level of exposure to UV rays crosses the threshold of protection offered by melanin, it can result in different kinds of skin damage and sunburn. Repeated instances of excessive exposure to UV rays can result in aged skin, sun spots, age spots, dull skin with fine lines, freckles, wrinkled skin, discolorations, dry and rough skin, leathery skin texture, and sensitive skin. The most important part of preventing ageing is to protect the skin from UV damage – Dr Leah clinic recommend using Obagi SPF daily.
Does smoking cause skin ageing?Yes- smoking can produce free radicals, once-healthy oxygen molecules that are now overactive and unstable. Free radicals damage cells, leading to, among other things, premature ageing by depleting the collagen and elastin stores of the skin.
WHAT ARE THE BEST WAY TO TREAT AGEING SKIN
Dr Leah Clinic the best treatments for aged skin (wrinkled, dull, sun damaged skin) are:
- Laser resurfacing treatment (i-pixel laser) - This is the best treatment for wrinkles, it works by ‘zapping’ or burning the skin away and can act as an excellent sun damaged skin treatment. It is a quick and straightforward procedure which is a safe and effective anti ageing treatment suitable for aged skin. See Laser skin resurfacing treatment page for more details.
- Obagi Nu derm - PRESCRIPTION SKINCARE - Obagi Nu derm UK is an exceptional sun damaged skin treatment and will remove signs of skin ageing on face. If you need to transform your skin and remove sun spots, fine lines and give your skin a glowing appearance this is the best anti ageing treatment for you. Obagi Nu Derm UK is a medical-grade skincare regime that is prescribed by our skin doctor and allows you to transform your skin at home over 16-20 weeks. Obagi Nu derm is a prescription strength regime and requires consultation with one of our clinic doctors – to find out if this regime is suitable for you please complete our free REMOTE SKIN ANALYSIS.
- Profhilo - Profhilo is an injectable anti ageing treatment performed by our clinic doctors which works to hydrate the skin, smooth fine lines and diminish signs of ageing by rehydrating the skin to restore its natural glow.
- Sun spot removal laser - Best treatment for sun spots. Using the latest in innovative laser technologies sun spots can be significantly reduced, leaving you with a brighter, clear and more even complexion and is an effective anti ageing treatment.
WHY CHOOSE DR LEAH CLINICS TO TREAT AGEING SKIN?
- The benefit of choosing a large, established, award winning clinic such as Dr Leah Clinic, is that we offer a wide range of the most innovative and effective treatments available for aged skin such as resurfacing laser, transformative prescription skincare (hyperlink to obagi nu derm page) or injectable treatments such as Profhilo.
- Our team of doctors and aesthetic therapists are able to assess your skin to decide of our anti ageing treatments or combination of treatments are best to transform the visible signs of ageing on your skin.
- We offer either in clinic treatments or at home skincare solutions to treat aged skin – with FREE REMOTE SKIN ANALYSIS available to determine which treatments or skincare products are best for you.
Best anti ageing skin products
Dr Leah clinic recommend the following three key anti ageing skin products to prevent premature ageing:
Obagi vit c 10%
- This anti oxidant serum will serve as a pollution protector to prevent free radical damage associated with air pollution. Vit C serum will also give a brightening glow to the face.
- This product should be used daily each morning after cleansing and before applying moisturiser and SPF
- You should use 5-7 drops applied to finger tips and then on to face
- Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 50 sunscreen combines UVB and UVA for a high level of protection against the sun and its harmful rays. It has an elegant, matte finish that is non-comedogenic and dermatologist-tested. The smooth, silk like finish works well under makeup acting as the perfect primer for foundation and it provides a chemical and physical block making it the best SPF available for anti ageing.
- This product should be worn daily each morning, all year round, it is best applied after moisturiser and before make up
Obagi retinol 1%
- There is good evidence for the use of topical retinol to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and prevent premature ageing. In a clinical study, patients reported a noticeable difference in 1 to 3 weeks of using Obagi retinol.
- This product should be used in the evening after skin cleanse, before going to sleep.
To find out how we can treat signs of ageing on your skin and restore your skin’s youthful glow:
COMPLETE SKIN ANALYSIS
COMPLETE SKIN ANALYSIS
Remote Skin ConsultationOur skin therapist will respond via email within 2 working days with a suitable recommendation for you. Please note that doctor treatments e.g. injectables, plasma IQ, aqualyx, thread lift, mole removal consultations are not available via remote consultation and require a face to face appointment. Call +44 (0) 20 7877 5999 to book a consultation with one of expert doctors today.
Upload a photograph of your skin in natural light without any makeup on