Am I suitable for non surgical eye lift / plasma pen treatment?
Before your treatment, we will invite you to attend a face-to-face consultation with one of our in-clinic doctors to assess your suitability. Please note that this treatment is not advisable for darker skin types (Fitzpatrick 4, 5 or 6) due to the risk of hyperpigmentation and it is not suitable if you have a history or keloid scarring. If you are seeking treatment for hooded eyes and there is a lot of excess skin on the brow then surgery may be the best option and you will be advised if this is the case during consultation with our doctor.
How many appointments does plasma pen treatment involve?
• First of all, you will attend a ‘Plasma IQ - plasma pen consultation’ with one of our doctors who performs this treatment. This allows us to assess your suitability for treatment and gives you a chance to ask questions and discuss your treatment goals.
• If you are suitable and wish to proceed, you will then be booked for your treatment appointment.
• On the day of your treatment you will be in clinic for 1 hour: 10 minutes for pre-treatment preparation, 30 minutes for the anaesthetic cream to numb the area, and 20 minutes to carry out the procedure.
• You will then be given the aftercare advice and you will book for your next treatment in 6 weeks’ time.
Is Plasma IQ - plasma pen treatment or Plexr / Plexar painful?
The actual treatment takes no more than 20 minutes, and generally speaking, it is not a painful procedure. We advise clients to take painkillers they are comfortable with prior to attending the appointment.
Medical-grade local anaesthetic cream is applied for 30 minutes before treatment, so the upper eyelid is numb. Some patients report a mild tingling / burning sensation, but with painkillers and numbing cream it is generally well tolerated.
Is Plasma IQ - plasma pen treatment suitable for all skin types?
We do not recommend plasma IQ for Fitzpatrick type 4 skins or above (Asian or black skin) as there is a high risk of hyperpigmentation.
Will I need time off work after non surgical eyelift treatment?
We suggest giving yourself 3 days before returning to work if possible as there will be scabbing on the eyelid or area where you have had Plasma IQ, and swelling for the first few days.
After 3 days you may still have scabs, but they can be hidden with makeup at that point.
There can be a pinkening of the skin where you have had treatment for up to 6 weeks after treatment, but this is normally on the crease of the eyelid and rarely noticeable to others.
Are there any risks or side effects of plasma pen treatment?
Plasma IQ is a very safe treatment. Possible side effects are common to any treatment that involves burning the skin and include but are not limited to:
• Redness / oozing immediately after treatment
• Crusting (where a thin crust/scab, usually 3-5 days, forms over the treated skin)
• Swelling (normally improves after 5 days )
• Soreness / itching at the treatment site (for up to 7 days)
• Pinkening of the treated skin for up to 6 weeks
Prior to treatment, your Dr Leah practitioner will discuss the procedure with you in detail, including a thorough review of possible risks and complications and how to look after the treated area to ensure optimum results.
Will I see results straight away?
It normally takes 2 treatments to see a significant improvement. Best results are 6 weeks after your final treatment.
Will I need more than one treatment for my eyelids?
This depends on how much skin there is to remove. As a general guide, however:
• Patients in their 30s should only need 1-2 treatments (6 weeks apart)
• Patients in their 40s may need 2-3 treatments (6 weeks apart)
• Patients in their 50s may need 3-4 treatments (6 weeks apart)
• Patients aged 60+ are likely to need 4 treatments or may not be suitable if there is too much excess skin on the lid
Hooded eyes can be a feature that we are born with or can develop with age. Hooded eyes can often make the eye look smaller through excess skin folding over the eye socket area. Plasma IQ is an excellent hooded eye treatment that tightens and effectively lifts the skin making it an effective non surgical eye lift alternative to hooded eye surgery.
How long do non surgical eyelift results last?
When used for excess skin / hooded eyes: once the excess skin has been removed it is completely gone (in the same way as with surgery ); however over time and with the natural process of ageing you will develop more loose skin (usually after 5 years). This is a normal part of ageing and is the same as removing the skin surgically (blepharoplasty).
If more loose skin re-appears over time you can simply have more plasma IQ treatments.
When used for scars or lines on lip, results are permanent
Can Plasma IQ - plasma pen be used elsewhere on the body?
This same treatment can be used to reduce lines on the upper lip (smokers lines), to treat deep lines elsewhere on the face, to treat scars (acne scars and white surgical scars) and to remove skin tags. It can also be used to treat stretch marks anywhere on the body.
Is plasma IQ - plasma pen the same as Plexar / Plexr?
Yes, the technology is the same as Plexar, however they are different brands of plasma pen.
Why is plasma IQ/ Plexr so popular?
The Plasma IQ treatment is often referred to as a non surgical eyelift and non- surgical blepharoplasty.
Recent data has shown that people no longer wish to go under the knife due to a perceived risk of anaesthetic, fear of permanent side effects related to surgery, and longer downtime. With non- surgical alternatives now available and giving good results we have seen demand for surgical procedures in the UK decrease in the last decade while demand for non- surgical treatments have increased dramatically.